Albany, NY 12206
Cataloging buildings from 1720 to 1860 in Albany, New York
is an inventory of the oldest buildings in Albany dating until 1860,
generated by surveying the known areas of early settlement in Albany.
Albany was originally settled as Fort Orange by the Dutch in 1624 at
the base of Broadway and Madison Avenue. The city was established
in 1659 outside the fort to the north. As the city grew, it
spread west away from the Hudson River and south first, then
north. This inventory focuses on the earliest areas of expansion
including the Arbor Hill (1840-1910), Downtown Albany (1880-1920),
Pastures (1820-1930), and South End/ Groesbeckville (1820-1930)
Historic Districts. To identify many of the lesser known or in
many cases, unknown, 18th century and early 19th century structures,
Historic Albany analyzed structures along Albany’s three turnpikes,
Albany's many creeks, and in the neighborhoods that developed around
the estates built outside the city limits.
Click here to download the inventory as a pdf:
Sorted by Date
Sorted by Address
Do you know of
any buildings missing on this list?
Use the form
below to submit a building that may date to before 1860 for its
inclusion on the list. Historic Albany staff will research
the property and if confirmed to have been constructed before, the
property will be added to the list. Please allow up to three
months for the list to be updated.
project was funded by grants from the Hudson River
Valley Greenway (in partnership with the City of Albany), National Trust for Historic Preservation through the
National Trust Preservation Fund, and Preservation League of New York
State through the Preserve NY Program. Reseach and survey
work was completed by Don Rittner and Walter Wheeler.