If you would like to nominate a building for our Endangered Resources List, please send us an email with the name and address of the building, the condition, and how it is threatened.
89 Lexington Avenue
Albany, NY 12206
fax | 518-463-2704
Endangered Historic Resources
Every five years, Historic Albany Foundation issues a new Endangered Historic Resource list and an update on past lists to the public. The goal of the Endangered Historic Resource list is to draw attention to well-known buildings, properties, and landmarks that are in need of stabilization, rehabilitation or restoration.
2010 Endangered Historic Resources Committee: William Brandow, Tony Opalka & HAF Staff
|Click here todownload a pdf of the 2010 Endangered Historic Resources List|
2010 Endangered Historic Resources List
|800-812 Broadway ▪ c. 1854, 1858,
Architect ▪ Josiah Root (802-806)
Included in the Broadway-Livingston Historic District, these buildings were once a part of a busy mixed-use corridor on the north end of the city. With the construction of the railroad bridge in the early 20th century, these buildings have been forgotten and suffer from long deferred maintenance. They now sit mostly vacant with little prospect of rehabilitation.
*Eligible for Federal and New York State Rehabilitation Tax Credits!
|Argus Press, 1031 Broadway ▪
Architect ▪ Marcus Tullius Reynolds
This building was constructed on speculation by the Albany Commercial Company, a group of businessmen who hoped to attract more industry to Broadway. The building was home to Argus Litho, successors to the company that began publishing the Albany Argus newspaper in 1813. This massive industrial building has sat vacant for years and has no known plan for rehabilitation.
|Bath House Number 2, 90 Fourth
Avenue ▪ 1905
Bath House No. 2 represents the only remaining bath house in the City of Albany. Public bath houses were built as a response to the demands of the population and hygiene practices of the time. Bath House No. 2 is owned and operated by the City of Albany. In the past week, the decision was made to close the Bath House for budgetary purposes. The building already has a long list of repairs needed that if left unattended, will contribute to deterioration and a less likely chance of rehabilitation. *Eligible for Federal and New York State Rehabilitation Tax Credits!
|10 Hall Place ▪ 1860
In 1860, W. H. Carr constructed a three story brick house on the site of 10 Hall Place, but never lived there. Albany stonecutters, Brooksbee and Roland (Brooksby and Rowland) purchased the house in 1862 to sell it to lumber dealer J. W. Dunham in 1863. During the 1990’s and early 2000’s, Hall Place was almost entirely vacant. Number 10 is the last remaining vacant building. Though the building has been stabilized, it still requires considerable work to become habitable once more. *Eligible for Federal and New York State Rehabilitation Tax Credits!
Holland Avenue ▪ 1937-38
Builder ▪Jesse Leonard
The houses were designed and built by Jesse Leonard and the Leonard Realty Company in 1937-1938. They are perhaps the best example of Tudor style architecture in the city. Throughout his career, Leonard constructed over 200 homes in Albany. Originally single family homes, these buildings have only been vacant for two years, these unique buildings are in need of repairs to be habitable once again and will continue to deteriorate without residents.
| 558 Madison Avenue ▪ c. 1880
Originally built to be a grocery store, this mixed-use building sits vacant on a busy corner across from Washington Park and just down the street from Albany Medical Center. Though its condition is stable, it is one of few vacant buildings across from the Park. Continued vacancy will only increase the deterioration and have a negative impact on development around it. Madison Avenue runs the risk of losing a widely visible corner structure. *Eligible for Federal and New York State Rehabilitation Tax Credits!
| 4 Madison Place ▪ 1872
In August 2005, a fire blazed through 4 and 5 Madison Place, leaving 5 damaged and 4 a façade. Since that time, number 4 remains a challenge. It has no access the rear of the property making construction only possible through its Elm Street neighbor’s yards. To lose a piece of this nationally recognized row would be tragic. Just one block long, Madison Place is a spectacular example of Gothic Revival rowhouses. Number 4 is no exception. The façade is elegantly simple when compared to the intensity of its Gothic Revival neighbors up the block.
| McPherson Terrace ▪ 1887-88, 1891
Architect ▪ Edward Ogden Builder ▪ Attilio Pasquini
Constructed in two stages, this row of 16 buildings is highly stylized and decoratively designed with alternating details of pressed brick, stone trim, gables, oriel windows and dormers. The block was most likely named for John McPherson, a gardener, who had previously owned the property. While some are occupied and maintained, the row as a whole has suffered from severe disinvestment and neglect.
*Eligible for Federal and New York State Rehabilitation Tax Credits!
Update October 14, 2014
3 and 4 McPherson Terrace were demolished as a public safety emergency after years of vacancy and neglect. Historic Albany has been working on these buildings prior to their listing on the Endangered Historic Resources List and continues to work with stakeholders to develop a stabilization and rehabilitation plan for 2 Judson as well as the row as a whole.
292 Second Street ▪
Architect ▪ Frederick W. Brown
The school was built as an eight room school house for the West Hill neighborhood. School 22 has been vacant for decades and continues to deteriorate every year. Though the building has been sold multiple times to be rehabilitated for a variety of uses, any action, including mothballing has yet to happen. The interior is in very poor condition and will continue to deteriorate unless properly mothballed. Without timely attention, this once beautiful structure will be lost.
South Pearl Street ▪
Architect ▪ A. J. Davis & A. J. Downing (1842-45) Nichols & Brown (1871)
The buildings that make up Kenwood are currently vacant. The entire estate is threatened by the possibility of vacancy, inappropriate development, and demolition. Vacancy is a hazard to buildings as they immediately begin to deteriorate. The estate was initially constructed as the summer home, but was converted, in 1859, into the Female Academy and Convent of the Sacred Heart. The buildings remaining today incorporate each period of the estate’s history.
Update! July 26, 2011
The Convent of the Sacred Heart is having an auction Friday, July 29- Sunday, July 31 to sell remaining valuables including pieces of the buildings, ornament, furniture, etc.
Click here to see HAF's email regarding the auction.
|Past Endangered Historic Resources|